Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Frozen Brains!!!!

As I've said before, I tend to paint in batches. It's hard for me to work on less than about 4 models at once, unless it's a really large scale project (like the Lord of Worms, a model I will show off soon). And as I mentioned in my Zombies of Karr-Keel post, I was only painting two of them at a time. So I stuck in one modern plastic zombie for Frostgrave and one Oldhammer zombie per group to push the numbers up. The flesh recipes were the same as the ones previously mentioned. I did go heavier on the weathering powders to simulate rust on the weapons. I intentionally left these models very dirty and sloppy; they're zombies after all!

The other thing you'll notice is the face of the sickle wielding zombie and the scythe blade look a bit funny. My basement isn't the driest location on earth so I have to keep a heat source handy to help models dry a little faster. Unfortunately, I forgot about these two and they melted a little. Thankfully, if any model can survive a little melting, it's a zombie! The scythe blade just looks even older and more decrepit, while I made sure to slater the sickle zombie's face with more gore to hide to lack of detail.

Finally, a special word goes to the final zombie pictured. Between his shirt and the haircut and bonnet, it looks like they guy met his doom while he was doing a little bit of "roleplaying," if ya know what I mean. Even fantasy humans have fetishes, I guess!

My intention is to mostly use these for the Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign, as my interests in Frostgrave lie towards the necromantic end of the spectrum. I've got a bunch more to get done eventually as well as some skeletons and some of the lovely plastic cultists I ordered that arrived with the most recent Nickstarter.

However, I do intend to use these with Age of Sigmar as well, hence the musician. That, and I am extremely amused by the idea of a zombie using a severed leg as a drum stick.








10 comments:

  1. Nice work. Reminds me I have 20 of these primed up. It never ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get to work, I expect to see them painted by Tuesday!

      Delete
  2. I love'm, Andrew. So many great colours in the skin. And the guts look so raw. Brilliant! Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High praise! But you got on the best part of painting zombies (and nurgle) n is that it's a lot of fun to be able to go over the top with guts and blood and the like!

      Delete
  3. Typical top-notch painting Andrew. Little conversions here and there add to them overall too.

    Looking forward to reading on your Frostgrave escapades. One day I'll find someone who'll want to play the damn game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And one day I'll have time to actually play!

      Delete